Sunday, November 23, 2008

Any advice?

So obviously Cailen is my first child. This past summer she spent a lot of time hanging around the house in her diaper, which for her age seemed normal to me. But now it's almost December, she seems to love being in her diaper most of the day. I have tried presetting her, giving her a choice of clothes, etc. etc. When I feel like the room is cold, she feels pretty warm. I think her metabolism runs "high" or whatever you call it. Regardless, it seems like I should be having her wear clothes...I don't want clothes to become a control issue or a power struggle...I'm just wondering, has anyone else been through this and do you have any advice? I feel like a bad mom sometimes because of this...Any ideas? I'm not sure she will just outgrow it because it seems day by day she tolerates clothes less and less.... :(
Help! (I'm taking Riley to the DR. next week I may ask him about it then.)

2 comments:

Jacqs said...

Outside of metabolism, this may simply be an obedience thing. If it's her preference to be nakey but you as the parent see that it's better for her to wear clothes now (and even better to know that if you SAY for her to wear clothes, that she will.)

If you approach it as the mom and try to get simple obedience then I'd go for small chunks of time. Give her options, colthes options, attitude options, Say, "you can choose your clothes, or I'll choose them for you." "You can wear your clothes and play for 10 minutes (good attitude choice)or wear your clothes and sit on the couch for ten minutes (bad attitude choice that you enforce)."

But start with obedience for 10 minutes. Then another 10 an hour later. Every hour? I don't know. Then tomorrow, 20 minutes every hour. By the end of the week MAYBE you'll have a dressed girl all day??

That's what I'd try in my experimental mommy way.

Anonymous said...

i have an update...today, was very successful...i started singing about getting dressed to the tune of a barney song while dressing riley...i put pants next to cailen and she put them on while i sang...i had already gotten a onesie on her....that lasted 1/2 hour....an hour later i did something similar, i got the onesie on her..told her she only needed to wear the shirt she told ME she wanted the pants! i let her choose and she's been wearing them for a couple hours...i even got a mirror to show her how nice she looked with her butterfly shirt on. she smiled at herself in the mirror...seemed happy about this :) i know i am.