Thursday, April 30, 2009

Gardening....


Having kids has given me a great excuse to play in the dirt and check my plants daily. Historically I do not keep plants very long because I forget to tend to them. So far so good with my projects this year! We have planted at least a dozen different things- I think. From wild flowers to vegetables to herbs. Most of them have already sprouted which is exciting. My ornamental pear tree and my lilacs have already or started to bloom. They are really the only beauty in my yard at this point (besides my kids, birds and bumble bees.) So I have taken to photographing some of my yard flowers just to enjoy my yard that much more...I have also been trying to save money and be "earth friendly" by just recycling some containers because really, who needs fancy containers for dirt anyway? Ultimately the plants will be transplanted somewhere else. I'm enjoying being thrifty. Cailen has been very helpful with planting and watering our little project. It's really exciting to have such a nice activity for her to nurture and watch grow.

1 comment:

dee said...

Becky, I love it! I'm reading a book called English Cottage Gardening for Americans and it says, "Like the garden in Benover, with its hollyhocks and roses, a good many of these cottage gardens were only small dooryards. Located along the roadsides, or in out-of-the-way villages, they ranged in size from 20 feet to 12 inches wide, mere slivers of soil between a cottage and the road. Sometimes there was no soil at all, and flowers flourished in everything from plastic buckets and coffee cans to old car tires turned inside out. The best of these creations were a marvelous mixture of texture, color, and fragrance, with flowers for bouquets and herbs for cooking."
Isn't that beautiful? Enjoy your garden!