Monday, September 29, 2008

Coby's....a sneek peek

Well, today we took a stroll down the cool, damp, autumn flecked street to our old stompin' ground (the former Coffee Cabin - my old job and the old dream of friends) which is now Coby's. It's a cafe that is part of the college and intended it seems for students mostly...Clearly there was a lot of money involved in the opening of this place, whereas The Coffee Cabin was constructed with a lot of heart and soul and the talents of many (also a lot of money I'm sure, just different vision perhaps). Coby's has definitely a more city than country or woodsy feel. Any colored interior painted wall has been painted stark white. The rustic old wood floors have been replaced with wood laminate. The textures and colors of arm chairs that inspired talking over tea and colorado raspberry bars, have been tossed aside by a brown couch love seat trio corner awaiting a group of noisy guys to watch a game on the large plasma screen TV overhead. There are two large plasma's on the wall...currently, one playing HGTV, one CNN....for this reason I may have to go there more ;) The barista (whatever you want to call the cappuccino machine) is larger than ours was, there is a fine tea company being displayed, multiple coffee pumps ready with a variety of blends. The walls are bare but there is local art work on the way.

The menu is merely on a white board and is very basic as ours was in the beginning: b'fast sandwiches, subs, drinks, bagels, etcs...We'll see if the people of the town demand more selection from them too. We both ate full size subs each with a pickle, a bag of chips and a drink of choice (ie. FUZE, bottled water, soda, coffee, etc.) for $10.78. Not too bad actually.

There is free wi-fi. There are numerous shelves displaying gear from the college (hats, mugs, shot glasses, post cards, etc.) There is also shelving for the sale of items handmade ( I think by local artisans.) All of the tables and chairs are new, coordinating and very nice.

The bathrooms are re-wallpapered and re-tiled (maybe it was linoleum.) Yes, I checked the bathrooms and even the kitchen looked very open and new...Their hours seem ambitious as ours were at first.

Time will tell if this becomes a hot-spot at least for college kids. I think it's nice, it's new, fresh and clean, but it doesn't have the sense of home that the Coffee Cabin had. The workers were nice, but no where did I see mention of being able to hear the "joke of the day" for $1 (maybe that's the one thing I don't miss! :) I hope it does well simply because this town needs ( heck I need!) somewhere local to just go and hang out. I miss walking down the street just to say hi to friends and co-workers who were there and knew your name (like Cheers)...well, my name was known because I worked there...Jeremy sincerely TRIED to know everyone's name but usually only remembered the first letter of a name or a name that sort of rhymed with it: "Hey Jim! It is Jim right?" "No Tim." or "Hey Marcie!" "No it's Maria..." Anyway, I wish the Coffee Cabin was still here, but since it's not I'll wish Coby's well. We need something around here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're a nice person Becky.

Anonymous said...

it sounds nice.. but the cabin was a WONDERFUL place and I even drove a 1/2 hour just to have breakfast there... but you are right Coby does need something... but the cabin will be missed

Anonymous said...

hmmm, i wish i knew if jm's comment was sarcastic...did i offend with the remembering names side note? I hope not...it is impossible to know everyone's name in a town but you tried at least! some don't even try...yes, i'm paranoid...